If you are traveling to London, England, you need to know how to get around the city. London is full of outstanding sites to see. However, the city is huge and you will have a big edge if you know the various ways of getting around before you get there. Whether you prefer the convenience of a taxi or are partial to the underground tube, you will certainly know your transportation options once you have read this article. Here are the 5 top ways of getting around London.
- Tube. In London, the subway is referred to as a tube. There are 11 different lines covering the city. A billion passengers ride this underground train annually. If you are going to be visiting the area for a while, then this mode of transportation can be quite economic. For example, if you are going to stay longer than a week, a 7-day pass would prove beneficial. The more time you pay for on the oyster card, the cheaper it becomes.
- Bus. The bus is a very economic way to get around London. The city offers 19,500 stops and there are 7,500 buses in service. Not only is the bus cheaper to ride, but it allows you the amazing opportunity to view the surroundings as you go. The ride on this iconic red bus will take a bit longer than other modes of transportation, but if you have the time, it is worth it.
- Taxi. Every great city has a taxi service. If you have the extra money and are in a hurry, this mode of transportation will get you where you need to go. Of course, the taxi is going to be more expensive. A one-mile ride could easily cost you upwards to $14. This form of transportation is definitely a matter of convenience. The drivers know the city well and the black cabs are easily spotted in the traffic flow.
- Walking. Obviously, the most economic way to get around London is walking. If you are staying near the center of the city, then walking is an easy way to get where you need to go. The best way to experience London is on your feet. However, if you are staying on the outskirts of the city, you might not want to walk that far. Walking is the best way to go if you have the time.
- Minicab. If you want to travel around London in style, the minicab might be the best choice. There are numerous licensed companies that offer this mode of transportation. You have the option to pre-book a London minicab ahead of time and they will pick you up on time and take you where you need to go. It will cost you more money, but you will ride in comfort.
Choosing transportation around London really comes down to preference, time, and budget. All of these forms of transportation will get you from point A to point B. After all, they are the top 5 ways of getting around London.